1926 | James W. Marvin C’26 L’30, Gladwyne, Pa., May 12, 2005.
1928 | Kenneth W. Hitchner EE’28, West Pittston, Pa., Oct. 26, 2003.
Samuel Kaiser W’28 L’31, Churchill, Pa., Aug. 25, 2004.
1930 | Benjamin H. Barnett W’30, Bryn Mawr, Pa., a retired executive with his family’s firm, Wm. Barnett & Sons; June 8. The business was founded in 1780 as the first wheat-starch company in the United States, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer. When the Barnetts bought it in 1817, the firm became a distributor for starch and later for dry-cleaning supplies. He retired as company sales manager and vice president in 1970. He was a former president of the Chapin Home for the Aged and Blind in Philadelphia. In 1974 he and his wife, Catherine Thacher Barnett, sold the historic Grange Estate, which they had inherited, to Haverford township for a small sum; in 1990 the Friends of the Grange named the Barnett Environmental Educational Center on the property in their honor. His son-in-law is John W. Frazier IV L’68, whose daughter is Catherine S. Frazier C’99.
1933 | Roger P. Hollingsworth ME’33, Gladwyne, Pa., owner of the former Bauerly and Morris Coppersmithing of Philadelphia until his retirement in 1974; June 6. He joined the firm after graduating from the University, eventually becoming owner. For 25 years, until 2000, he was president of the Hoxie Harrison Smith Foundation in Devon, which funds charities and educational programs. During World War II Roger served in the U.S. Army Air Forces in the Pacific; he was discharged as a major.
1934 | Norman L. Plotka C’34 L’37, Santa Rosa, Calif., a retired attorney; June 17. At Penn he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa and an editor of the law review. He worked for the Rural Electrification Administration in Washington for 41 years and was acting general counsel of the U.S. Department of Agriculture when he retired. He was an avid reader with a keen memory of favorite Shakespeare passages throughout his life. One of his daughters is Judith Plotka Farrell CW’70.
1936 | Thomas M. Laird WEv’36, Lancaster, Pa., June 18.
Dr. Kenneth A. Shultz GEd’36, York, Pa., a teacher and the director of business education at William Penn High School for 40 years, until his retirement in 1974; Feb. 14. In 1966 he was selected as Pennsylvania’s Outstanding Business Educator of the Year. From 1930 to 1943 he was a teacher in the Camden, N.J., school system. Dr. Shultz was curator of the Indian Steps Museum for 31 years. He served as a national director of the Izaak Walton League. During World War II he served was a member of the U.S. Army’s 154th Medical Unit; stationed in both the U.S. and Europe, he was a first lieutenant in charge of a prisoner-of-war camp in Tullahoma, Tenn., which housed over 10,000 German prisoners. He received the European-African-Mid Eastern Service Medal and the American Service Medal.
1937 | Dr. Wilfred W. Jordan D’37, Miami, Dec. 24, 2004.
John D. Mink ChE’37, Indianapolis, Jan. 19, 2006.
Dr. Walter Patterson C’37 GM’50, Warwick, R.I., a retired ophthalmologist and the former chief of ophthalmology at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Md.; June 26. He served in the U.S. Navy Medical Corps for 20 years before retiring as a captain in 1962; then, he maintained a private practice for 40 years until his retirement in 2002.
Dr. William A. Phreaner Jr. D’37, New Holland, Pa., June 30, 2005.
Rev. John E. Shappell C’37 GEd’51, San Diego, Aug. 20, 2005.
1938 | John F. Conway W’38, West Hartford, Conn., a retired assistant chief underwriter for the Federal Housing Administration; Jan. 1, 2006. While at Penn he was president of Delta Sigma Phi fraternity and played varsity baseball and golf. His government service included working in real estate and finance; he was also a certified appraiser for the FHA and the Veterans Administration. During World War II he had served in both Italy and North Africa and was discharged as a 2nd lieutenant.
Cornelius G. Sullivan W’38, Portland, Ore., a retired attorney; Jan. 27, 2006. Known as “Neil,” he practiced law in Norristown, Pa., and was also the Montgomery County court administrator for 35 years. He was a former president of the local bar association. Earlier he had worked in the estate tax division of the IRS. During World War II he served as a U.S. Naval supply officer, lieutenant junior grade, in the Pacific campaign. He was among the officers aboard the Portland who witnessed the acceptance of the Japanese surrender at Truk Atoll on Sept. 2, 1945, the same day the formal Japanese surrender ceremonies took place in Tokyo Bay. His son is Cornelius G. Sullivan Jr. C’63.
Charles Thierman C’38 L’41, Margate City, N.J., Feb. 7, 2006.
1939 | George B. Bronk WEv’39, Wilmington, Del., a retired manager for the Insurance Company of North America; June 14. He served as a chaplain for the Gideons International and for 30 years was Sunday school superintendent of the First Baptist Church of Chester. He was active on several boards of the Aldersgate United Methodist Church. He did volunteer work for various organizations, including the Alfred I. DuPont Institute and Meals on Wheels.
Lucille Ruby Hickman DH’39, Westfield, N.J., March 14, 2004.
William S. Stock WG’39, Mount Dora, Fla., Aug. 7, 2005.
Edwin H. Webster CE’39, Winthrop, Wash., a retired steel-industry executive; April 17. He began his career as a draftsman for Luria Engineering Co. in Bethlehem, Pa., where he later accepted a position supervising the construction of a major hangar complex for American Airlines. He then moved to Istanbul, where he worked as an adviser to the Turkish army on military-building techniques. After returning to the U.S., he resumed work with Luria Engineering until taking a position as executive vice president of Whitehead & Kales Steel in Detroit; for almost a decade he traveled worldwide, expanding the company’s international market. In 1978 he took a position with Carolina Steel in Greensboro, N.C.; he became president in 1982 and board chair from 1982 until his retirement in 1986. He served as president of the American Society of Steel Construction for two terms, in 1970 and 1971. During World War II he was an officer in the Sea Bees, serving in the South Pacific and Japan.
1940 | Jonathan Allison L’40, Washington, Pa., May 28, 2004.
Dr. Milton A. Cutler D’40, Glastonbury, Conn., Aug. 25, 2005.
Dr. Paul Cutler C’40, Boca Raton, Fla., a retired physician; June 12. At Penn he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
Sara Clark Hufnal Ed’40, Harriman, N.Y., March 12, 2005.
Benjamin H. Schneiderman WEF’40 W’47, Harrisburg, Pa., August.
1941 | Yaroslav J. Fostyk C’41, Philadelphia, Sept. 17, 2005.
Anna Furst DH’41, Hershey, Pa., Sept. 10, 2005.
Robert C. Mason W’41, Exeter, N.H., a pilot for Eastern Air Lines for 37 years; April 22.
1942 | Dr. Herbert P. Harkins GM’42, Gladwyne, Pa., a retired head of otolaryngology and bronchoesophagology at Hahnemann University, who had also had served on the faculty of Penn’s School of Medicine; July 4. He was also on the staff at Bryn Mawr, Lankenau, Presbyterian, and Coatesville Veterans hospitals. He was a former president of the American Society of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology. He was a trustee of Lafayette College (his alma mater) and an elder at Bryn Mawr Presbyterian Church. During World War II he had served as a commander in the U.S. Navy, stationed in New Guinea.
1943 | Miriam B. Copeland CW’43, Charlotte, N.C., a teacher at Chenango Valley Jr. High School in Binghamton, N.Y., from 1959 until her retirement in 1983; March 30. She was awarded a full scholarship to the University, where she was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. At Chenango Valley she taught first chemistry and later the “new math.”
Eugene H. Malone WEv’43, Metuchen, N.J., Aug. 21, 2005.
Harold E. Manley WEv’43 CCC’51, West Chester, Pa., vice president of finance and treasurer of the University for 43 years, until his retirement in 1981; June 18. He came to Penn as an assistant bookkeeper in 1938, enrolling in the Wharton Evening School. He became assistant controller in 1946, was appointed controller in 1954, and became business manager in 1961. Two years later he became Penn’s chief financial officer on his election as vice president. The additional post of treasurer was added in 1975.
Dr. Nathan Paul D’43, Miskayuna, N.Y., Nov. 16, 2005.
Charlotte R. Thornbury CW’43, West Newton, Mass., Sept. 25, 2005.
1944 | Dr. Arthur B. Levitt D’44, Green Island, N.Y., a dentist who practiced in the area of Troy, N.Y., until his retirement 12 years ago; April 17.
1945 | Ethel Romm Lubarr Ed’45, Philadelphia, June 11. Her cousins are Toba R. Meiselman CW’56 and Dr. Barry D. Meiselman D’58.
Victor A. Turkot Sr. ChE’45, Oreland, Pa., June 12.
1946 | Dr. Adelaide M. Delluva Gr’46, Philadelphia, emeritus professor of biochemistry at the School of Veterinary Medicine and former associate dean of student affairs; May 31. In 1946 she became an instructor of biochemistry in the School of Medicine, one of the first women to teach there; she was appointed assistant professor there in 1954. Moving to the School of Veterinary Medicine in 1969, she was promoted to associate professor in 1971 and to full professor in 1978. In her department she served as associate chair, 1971-73, and acting chair, 1973. She served as the associate dean for student affairs from 1979 to 1987, and still assisted in counseling and mentoring after becoming emeritus professor in 1988. She continued to teach and work on campus daily until her death. During the 1970s she was president of both the Women’s Faculty Club (now PennPro Women) and the activist organization Women for Equal Opportunity at the University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Delluva served as an adviser to the Penn Women’s Center from its founding in 1973 and remained on its board until the time of her death. Both the Women’s Center and former Women’s Faculty Club honored her with awards—the latter presenting her with its Leonore Rowe Williams Award in 1989 for outstanding contributions to women. She also served on the University-wide Affirmative Action Council, where she introduced measures that led to the creation of HandiVan, a free service that transports injured and disabled students, faculty, and staff to classes or work. “Everyone wanted her on their committee,” Dr. Helen C. Davies Gr’60, professor of microbiology, told The Philadelphia Inquirer. “She was feisty and wonderfully stubborn.” She was a convenor of the MyoBio Club, and from 1968 to 1970 served as treasurer of the Membrane Transport Workers’ Union (the professional society of scientists working on biological membranes). A gifted musician on piano and harpsichord, Dr. Delluva was also remembered by students as the keyboard accompanist to Dr. Davies in classroom sing-alongs, where witty original lyrics are used as mnemonics for the mechanisms of infectious diseases. Fluent in five languages, she also counseled international students. She was elected to the New York Academy of Sciences in 1980.
Mark J. McConnell ChE’46, Woodbury, N.J., June 12.
Joan M. Wojczynski CW’46, Ocean City, N.J., April 1.
1947 | Ann Haagen Musselman CW’47, Lititz, Pa., a retired head of English teacher at Lancaster Country Day School; May 26. She taught there from 1957 to 1987. A longtime member of Trinity Lutheran Church in Lancaster, she was the second woman elected to its vestry; from 1966 to 1971 she served as a part-time member of its staff.
Robert H. Schmid W’47, Gilford, N.H., April 15.
1948 | Lewis Davis Ar’48, New York, co-founder of the architectural firm now known as Davis Brody Bond; May 21. In 1952 he opened the practice of Davis, Brody & Wisniewski with fellow architects Samuel M. Brody and Chester Wisniewski. Alan Schwartzman joined them as a partner in 1965 and the firm became Davis, Brody & Associates. According to The New York Times, the project that cemented their reputation was the Riverbend public housing project, a collection of 628 duplex apartments spread through interconnected buildings with courtyards and open-air passageways. Richard Ravitch, developer of the project, said, “Lew was committed to the concept of designing something that had real quality for which one did not have to pay a measurable increase in cost. Also, he was very concerned about the quality of life of the people who were going to live there.” The Waterside housing project, which began in 1971 and was completed in 1974, was designed to solve a housing crisis facing United Nations employees; the four towers are still considered East River landmarks. Other large housing developments by the firm include the East Midtown Plaza of 1974 and the River Park Towers of 1975. Lewis Davis also worked on the U.S. Pavilion at Expo 70 in Osaka, Japan, whose roof of translucent vinyl was supported on a cushion of air; buildings at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine; the Samuel B. and David Rose Building at Lincoln Center; and the William and Anita Newman Library at Baruch College. His later work included renovation and construction projects for the New York Public Library. He taught and mentored architects at his own firm and through teaching assignments at Cooper Union, Yale University, and Penn. His professional awards include the American Institute of Architects Firm Award, the Thomas Jefferson Award for Public Architecture, and the Arnold W. Brunner Prize from the American Institute of Arts and Letters. The architects of Davis Brody described his body of work as “characterized by a unique fusion of design excellence with social purpose” and noted his belief “in the power of architecture and its ability to enrich people’s lives.” One of his sons is Steven M. Davis GAr’85 and his step-daughter is Ariel J. Morvan C’89.
Dr. William H. Grau Jr. V’48, Knoxville, Tenn., Sept. 8, 2005.
Dr. John M. Schwartz GM’48, Durham, N.C., April 27.
1949 | Joseph M. Kelrick W’49, Hollywood, Fla., the founder and first president of Finger Mate, a jewelry manufacturer; June 21. The business is now run by his son, Howard M. Kelrick C’77, whose wife is Karen Frank Kelrick W’77; their son is Scott P. Kelrick C’08. Joseph also started two other jewelry firms, now under different ownership. He was a pilot and certified flight instructor, and an avid golfer. His daughter is Kathy Kelrick Brooks C’81 GEd’81.
Lloyd H. Klatzkin W’49, Yardley, Pa., retired senior tax partner and divorce specialist of Klatzkin and Company; June 14. He served as an expert witness regarding business valuations and analysis of closely held businesses in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. For the past nine years he taught continuing-education courses to CPAs in Bucks County and Philadelphia. He had also taught at the College of New Jersey. He was the former supervisor of Lower Makefield, chair of its zoning hearing board, and a judge of elections. He served on the New Jersey Federal Taxation Committee.
Marion Craven Limbacher DH’49, Greenwich, Conn., July 22, 2004.
Robert S. Marshall Ed’49 GEd’54, Toms River, N.J., head of English at Central Regional High School, until his retirement in 1985; June 16. At Penn he performed radio shows for WXPN. And he worked with writer Pearl Buck and Oscar Hammerstein’s son-in-law in theater productions at the Bucks County Playhouse. He also coached and officiated for track and field events at Central Regional. He was an adjunct professor of English at Ocean County College and taught at Trenton State College and State Police Academy, Sea Girt. For 40 summers he was a staff supervisor at Island Beach State Park, where he was known as “Mr. Island Beach” for his extensive knowledge of park history. He continued volunteering at the nature center there for many years after his retirement. During World War II he served in the 7th U.S. Air Force, 1942-45.
Dr. Elmer E. Marx Jr. C’49 V’53, Juneau, Alaska, a retired veterinarian who had maintained a large-animal practice in Waynesburg, Pa., for 34 years; April 8. Moving to Alaska in 1989, he continued his veterinary practice until 2004. Horses were his favorite animal and the primary focus of his later years. Racehorse owners praised his use of a radiation-therapy machine that dissolved calcium deposits in horses’ ankles and knees. He was the personal veterinarian for Adios, a world champion Standardbred horse.
Stanley S. Mendell C’49 L’52, Haddonfield, N.J., Dec. 15, 2004.
William B. Musselman WG’49, Trenton, N.J., Sept. 18, 2004.
Ronald R. Petersen Ed’49 GEd’50, Medford, N.J., Sept. 22, 2005.
Dr. Joseph J. Toland III GM’49, Philadelphia, June 18.
Alan B. Weiss W’49, Mountain View, Calif., June 5. He had been a dedicated volunteer at the University Museum before moving to California.
Harry K. Wiemann C’49, Ipswich, Mass., Jan. 23, 2006.
Gordon D. Williams W’49, Gadsden, Ala., June 24, 2005.
1950 | William H. Boucher GEd’50, Mendenhall, Pa., a mathematics teacher at Mount Pleasant High School in Wilmington, Del., for 35 years; July 8. One of his students, James Griffin, established an academic chair in his honor at Indiana University in Bloomington. While teaching at Mount Pleasant he began various businesses, including two land-development companies. One partnership, B&B Company, established in 1968, developed many residential subdivisions throughout southeastern Pennsylvania and New Castle County, Del. After retiring from teaching in 1983, he continued to be active with B&B and ran a firewood business. He donated land for a new high school in his hometown of Lake Huntington, N.Y. He served on numerous boards, including the Sanford School in Hockessin, Del., and the Delaware Mutual Insurance Co. He was a devoted trustee of West Chester University; in 1995 he received an honorary doctorate there and was elected to the Sturzebecker Hall of Fame in 1999. The campus-science center there is named in after him and his wife.
Robert R. Murphy GEd’50, Philadelphia, a science and physical-education teacher at George Washington High School; July 3. He developed special equipment to help students with minor physical problems. He also coached the tennis team before retiring in 1980. When not teaching during the day, he taught night school and worked at summer camps. During World War II he served as a lieutenant on the destroyer escort Waterman, which saw action in the Pacific. He was a founding member of the Philadelphia chapter of the Destroyer Escort Sailors Association.
Frederick R. Wallace, Jr. C’50, Catasauqua, Pa., Nov. 20, 2004.
1951 | Robert G. Campbell W’51, Lancaster, Pa., July 31, 2005.
Dr. Eugene D. Crittenden Jr. Gr’51, Greenville, Del., April 28. He joined Hercules Powder Co., now Hercules Inc., as a research engineer in Wilmington, Del., in 1951. He was transferred to Brunswick, Ga., in 1954, and over the next 15 years he worked in New Jersey, New York, and Belgium. In 1966 he was appointed director of sales of the organic-chemical division and he assistant general manager of the synthetic department. He was named general manager of the new-enterprise department in 1968, and in 1972 he became general manager of the explosives department in Wilmington, where he worked with rocket engineering. After the company’s reorganization in 1977 he became vice president for administration and public affairs. He joined the a board in 1982. In 1986, when Hercules and Henkel of Germany formed a joint-venture company, Aqualon, to manufacture synthetic water-soluble polymers, he was named president and CEO. From 1989 until his retirement in 1992 he did corporate planning and international work at Hercules headquarters. He chaired the Delaware Economic and Financial Advisory Council and served as president of the metropolitan board for the YMCAs of Wilmington and New Castle County. He was a board member of the Hagley Museum and Library. And he was vice chair of the Medical Center of Delaware, now Christiana Care. He was a former treasurer of Christ Church.
Dr. Anne E. Borum Keller M’51 GM’53 GM’55, Rye, N.Y., a retired pediatrician and administrator for the Pennsylvania Department of Health; June 1. She worked as a pediatrician at several Philadelphia hospitals until 1976, when she joined the state Department of Health as director of rehabilitation. She administered grants for medical services for high-risk children. Commuting by train four days a week from Philadelphia to Harrisburg, she also worked at Philadelphia’s College of Physicians one day a week, before retiring in 1989. She was active in the civil-rights movement, protested the Vietnam War, and fought to abolish the death penalty.
Dr. Donald E. Peck V’51, Greenfield, Mass., April 12.
Dr. Thomas M. Runge GM’51, Austin, Tex., April 30.
James B. Verrecchia WEv’51, Flourtown, Pa., June 15.
1952 | Kenneth H. Barrabee W’52, Oxnard, Calif., March 9.
Dr. Jay Alpert Cohen C’52 M’56, Ocean, N.J., June 29.
Michael F. Connors G’52, Willow Grove, Pa., June 20. He had served on the faculty of Gwynedd Mercy College.
Paul Dubin WG’52, Centerville, Mass., Jan. 30, 2005.
Doris Shapiro Feingold Ed’52, Moorestown, N.J., Feb. 25, 2006.
Linwood T. Geiger C’52, Paoli, Pa., June 9. He had served on the faculty of Eastern University.
Dr. John D. Kramer M’52, Akron, Ohio, March 26.
Richard A. McClatchy Jr. W’52, Bryn Mawr, Pa., Feb. 26, 2004.
Robert M. Pattison SW’52, New York, Nov. 7, 2005.
1953 | Dr. Wendell L. Cooper C’53 V’56, Winchester, Va., retired manager veterinarian at Hemp Standardbred Breeding Farm in Mechanicsburg, Pa., who had also served as an assistant professor of animal reproduction at the University’s School of Veterinary Medicine; June 23. He had maintained general veterinary practices in Pennsylvania, 1956-65, and in Wisconsin, 1965-73. He was recently superintendent of Middleburg Agricultural Research and Extension Center, where he was instrumental in developing the Wankopin Creek Conservation Area, now named after him.
Dr. William E. Copeland GM’53, Columbus, Ohio, retired professor of obstetrics and gynecology at at Ohio State University, who as an obstetrician in private practice had attended nearly 10,000 births during his 46-year career; Jan. 6, 2006. He was chief of staff of the Ohio State University Hospitals, 1983-87. According to one of his sons, Chris, who is also an obstetrician, Dr. Copeland helped lead the fight during the 1960s to allow fathers in the delivery room so that they could be a part of the birth. “Each delivery was always a miracle,” he once said, “and I got to participate.” Despite his prowess as an obstetrician, he told The Columbus Dispatch in 1999 that he had once overlooked a pregnancy—when he had once thought his golden retriever had a tumor. After a visit to the vet he confessed, “Heavens to daisy, here I was an obstetrician, who couldn’t tell his own dog was pregnant.”
Malcolm L. Corrin WG’53, East Orange, N.J., July 25, 2005.
Wallace R.G. Langbehn C’53, Spokane, Wash., April 8.
Dr. John J. Reed Gr’53, Boonton Township, N.J., July 7, 2005.
Gladys J. Roye WEv’53, Darby, Pa., June 17.
Dr. Philip G. Spaeth GM’53, Niceville, Fla., retired of ophthalmology at Graduate Hospital in Philadelphia; May 16. He was chief resident surgeon at Wills Eye Hospital, 1954-55, before entering into private practice with his father in 1955. He also served on the staffs of Wills Eye and Rush hospitals. He was sought out by resident surgeons because of his skills as a surgical teacher, according to The Chestnut Hill Local. He received the Silver Platter Award from Wills Eye and the Honor Award from the Pennsylvania Academy of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology, among other honors. He ran the gold tournament at the Pennsylvania Academy’s annual meeting for many years. After retiring in 1983 he pursued his hobbies of golfing and birding; in golf he “shot his age” at the age of 75 and “broke his age” at 81. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy as a pharmacist’s mate and then as an ensign skipper of LCT 1423 in the Pacific theater. One of his brothers is Dr. George L. Spaeth GM’61.
1954 | Dr. Luther G. Shaw GrEd’54, Bradford, Pa., a retired college teacher and administrator; April 14. He began his career as a teacher in the New Jersey public school system. He was a professor at Glassboro State College and a visiting professor at the University of New Mexico and at Emory University. During his tenure as dean of administration at Glassboro State Teachers College, U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower met with Nikita Khrushchev there. He was president and founder of Atlantic Community College in Atlantic City, N.J., president and founder of Garrett County Community College in McHenry, Md., and vice president of Keuka College, Penn Yan, N.Y. He held various local, district, and state offices in the Methodist Church, including serving on the state advisory committee and the educational-television and radio committee. During World War II he served as an instructor in the U.S. Army Air Corps.
Frederick S. Sunderlin WEv’54, Abington, Pa., assistant controller for the old Wanamaker’s, where he had worked from 1948 until his retirement in 1986; May 25. He had served on the board of Grace Presbyterian Church in Jenkintown.
1955 | Sarah Evans Brennan CW’55, Naples, Fla., Feb. 26, 2006. Known as “Sally,” at Penn she was a member of Delta Delta Delta sorority. She had lived in Murray Hill, N.J., for many years, but moved to Florida 23 years ago. Her husband is James H. Brennan Jr. W’54.
Bernice Krewson Nu’55, Gwynedd, Pa., June 4.
Robert P. Kurtz W’55, Lebanon, N.J., April 27.
Dr. Jose Luis Restrepo WG’55, McLean, Va., Jan. 26, 2006.
Lewis H. Vovakis C’55, Washington, the retired senior vice president of CACI International, Inc., where he directed business development of computer technology for the commercial legal market; May 20. At Penn he was a member of the Mask and Wig club and Alpha Chi Rho fraternity. Before joining CACI he served as vice president and general manager for Aspen Systems in New York, where he he directed marketing and sales, providing management systems for complex litigation for large corporate and legal clients; his early major projects included the computerized publication of the Pennsylvania state and the Phoenix city codes. He served in the 1988 Presidential campaign of George H. W. Bush and was a member of the transition team.
1956 | Dr. Elmer H. Brown Jr. GD’56, Avila Beach, Calif., the first oral surgeon on California’s Central Coast who had also served as chief of staff at General and Sierra Vista hospitals; May 31. He had maintained a private practice in San Luis Obispo from 1957 to 1991. He was a trustee of Avila Beach Community Foundation. After being diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1995, he participated in several research programs around the country to explore cutting-edge treatment options for himself and others. During the Korean War he was an oral surgeon in the U.S. Air Force, attaining the rank of captain.
Dr. Ernest C. Dunn C’56 GM’62, Ocean City, N.J., a radiologist at Shore Memorial Hospital for four decades, until his retirement in 2003; June 19. He served 18 years on the Ocean City school board. He had been a U.S. Army medic in Texas.
M. James Weisman W’56, Bala Cynwyd, Pa., June 15.
1957 | Dr. Peter R. Senn GM’57, Santa Barbara, Calif., Jan. 23, 2006.
1958 | Albert B. Hinden EE’58, San Diego, May 13.
Henry J. Jones CCC’58, Wilmington, Del., Jan. 26, 2006.
Dr. Thomas A. Seaton GD’58, San Diego, March 17, 2003.
1959 | Dr. J. Sandor Cziraky Gr’59, Philadelphia, Dec. 13, 2004.
Robert Peter Keegan GCP’59, Hemet, Calif., May 31, 2005.
1963 | Dr. John W. Coleman Gr’63, Beverly, Mass., a retired physicist at MIT; Jan. 23, 2006. He began his career as a physicist for RCA in New Jersey, designing electron microscopes. While at therre he received the David Sarnoff Award, which allowed him to complete his Ph.D at Penn. He then became research director at Forgflo Corp. in Sunbury, Pa., where he helped design an air-bearing-supported electron microscope capable of sub-atomic resolution. Paragon was exhibited in Boston and other U.S. cities. In 1972 he became a staff physicist at the Research Laboratory of Electronics at MIT, where he worked on an Auger electron microscope. In 1981 he was joined MIT’s Plasma Science and Fusion Center, helping design nuclear-fusion equipment. A member of the Beverly school board from 1976 to 1992, he was concerned getting renewable energy for the high school. A federal grant allowed for the building of a 100-kilowatt solar-panel array in 1980; in its early years the site attracted national and international attention. It has generated nearly non-stop and is still used as an educational tool. Dr. Coleman was a board member of the Massachusetts Association of School Committees, 1983-88, serving as president in 1986.. He helped write the Framework for Science and Technology for the state Department of Education, 1995-97. He was a technical adviser for MIT’s museum committee, and was a member of the advisory panel for the Umana Magnet School in Boston. He received an award from the Atomic Energy Commission.
1964 | Dr. K. Arnold Gill Jr. GM’64, High Point, N.C., Aug. 20, 2005.
1968 | Dr. William Stran McCurley GM’68, Rockville, Md., Feb. 4, 2006.
Dr. Robert B. Ronkin D’68, Winfield, Ill., May 26. A dentist, he was known for his work with trauma patients, sometimes at no charge.
1969 | Eric C. Brown SW’69, Malvern, Pa., the director of the Paoli Hospital Center for Addictive Diseases; June 25. He was a probation officer in Chester County before becoming a counselor at the addiction center.
Miles A. Jellinek C’69 L’74, Merion, Pa., a partner with the Philadelphia law firm of Cozen O’Connor; June 27. A specialist in complex property-damage cases, he was one of the lead attorneys for the owners of One Meridian Plaza in Philadelphia, in litigation after a 1991 fire that destroyed the building and killed three firefighters. For the last five years he ad taught contract law and law-in-society to business students at Temple University. He also taught courses on evidence and civil procedure for the Insurance Society of Philadelphia and other professional groups. He joined Cozen O’Connor in 1975. He was vice president of the board of Congregation Rodeph Shalom in Philadelphia; member of the choir and music task force, he and his wife, Annabelle F. O’Leary Jellinek WG’78, initiated and sponsored a CD, Shirei Shabbat: Songs of Shabbat. He sang doo-wop with coworkers at law firm talent shows and performed Frank Sinatra songs. An avid squash and tennis player, he was a board member of the Germantown Cricket Club. One of his daughters is Beth E. Jellinek C’01.
1970 | Dr. Harold S. Orchow GM’70, Las Vegas, Feb. 25, 2006.
1972 | Charles D. Gardinier WG’72, Cheshire, Conn., May 6, 2005.
Dr. Richard H. Morrison SW’72, Hermitage, Tenn., March 3.
1973 | Dr. James T. Kelleher Gr’73, West Chester, Pa., professor emeritus of English at West Chester University, where he had taught for over 30 years; July 19. He joined the faculty in 1968 and retired in 1999. He also taught summer and evening courses at Widener University and for 30 years taught remedial night courses at Delaware County Prison. Recently he had tutored special-needs children. He was a prolific poet.
1976 | John A. Mennite C’76, Woodbury, N.J., Feb. 21, 2006. His father is Hon. Joseph Mennite W’39.
Dr. Nathan M. Smukler GM’76, Wyndmoor, Pa., founding head of the rheumatology at Thomas Jefferson Hospital for more than 22 years; July 2. He had founded the rheumatology department in 1959. He treated patients with muscular-skeletal. Later he began to focus on fibromyalgia, eventually becoming director of Jefferson’s Fibromyalgia Center. “He taught numerous generations of prominent rheumatologists,” Dr. Sergio A. Jimenez GM’73, the Dorrance H. Hamilton Professor of medicine and chief of rheumatology at Jefferson University, told The Philadelphia Inquirer. Dr. Smukler won a series of awards for teaching excellence at the school. He continued to treat patients and study rheumatology, even after the first of two “retirements” beginning in the late 1990s. He presented his last paper at an American College of Rheumatology meeting last year.
1977 | Dr. Richard A. Gervasio C’77, Washington Crossing, Pa., an anesthesiologist who had maintained a practice in Trenton, N.J.; Jan. 9, 2006. His wife is Dr. Despina Terris C’77.
1978 | John J. Crown WEv’78, Ocala, Fla., June 19. One of his daughters is Carol V. Crown WG’77.
1979 | Isabel B. Ferguson L’79 ASC’95, Philadelphia, May 6. She worked for the University on and off over a 34-year period. In 1964 she began as a programmer in the physics department. In the early 1990s she became associate director of Franklin library services, where she managed the library system’s data center and helped computerize the card-catalog system. After retiring in 1996 she continued to serve as a temporary worker for a year and then did freelance work and conducted research for several law firms.
1982 | Dr. Charlotte E. Bonica Gr’82, Seattle, assistant professor of English at Columbia University, where she was also assistant vice president for academic affairs in the Division of Arts and Sciences; June 6. Her other teaching positions included College of the Atlantic in Bar Harbor, Maine; Bellevue Community College; and Forest Ridge School, Bellevue. She was the recipient of several fellowships, including a Fulbright to study Classical arts in Rome, an American Council of Learned Societies Research Fellowship, and the Lawrence E. Chamberlain Fellowship at Columbia University. She presented papers at several Modern Language Association conventions and was published in the Journal of English Literary History.
1983 | S. Susan Chang ChE’83, Pittsford, N.Y., December 2005.
Faculty and Staff
Dr. Wendell L. Cooper. See Class of 1953.
Dr. Raymond Davis Jr. Hon’90, Blue Point, N.Y., research professor in the department of physics and astronomy, and a Nobel laureate; May 31. Before coming to Penn in 1973 as an adjunct professor of astronomy, he had worked at Monsanto Chemical Co. and Brookhaven Laboratory He left Penn in 1983, but returned as a research professor in 1985, following his retirement from Brookhaven. A member of the National Academy of Sciences and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, he received the 2001 National Medal of Science. In 2002 he won a Nobel Prize in Physics for his groundbreaking research on the emission of neutrinos produced by nuclear fusion in the center of the Sun.
Dr. Adelaide M. Delluva. See Class of 1946.
Isabel B. Ferguson. See Class of 1979.
Dr. Herbert P. Harkins. See Class of 1942.
Ian Harvey, Cherry Hill, N.J., lecturer in the School of Nursing; June 14. He had been at Penn since 1998, teaching economics, accounting, and finance. He had also served as manager of staff and career development for the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia. He was the recipient of the 2003 Excellence in Teaching Award and was Instructor of the Year for the American Institute of Banking in 1984 and 1994. “Mr. Harvey was one of the most dedicated teachers that I have ever worked with,” said Dr. Cynthia C. Scalzi GNu’98, associate professor of nursing and director of the program. “His students have said that he was also one of the best teachers they have had at Penn.”
Gary M. Kelsey, director of minority recruitment in the Office of Admissions, 1978-83; June 13. After leaving Penn he went on to work for Coppin State College in Baltimore, Pennsylvania State University, and the University of Colorado at Boulder. In 1999 he was appointed associate vice president for enrollment management at Binghamton University, State University of New York. He also served as president of the National Association for College Admission Counseling.
Dr. Morton M. Kligerman, Philadelphia, the Henry K. Pancoast Professor Emeritus of Research Oncology; June 7. Before coming to Penn he held faculty appointments at Temple, Columbia, and Yale universities. In 1972 he established the Cancer Research and Treatment Center at the University of New Mexico, which he directed for eight years. Concurrently he was medical director of the Pion Cancer Therapy project at Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory. In 1980 he joined the Penn faculty as a professor of radiation therapy. He continued his research on the drug WR-2721 (now known as Amifostine), which had been developed by the U.S. Army to protect troops from nuclear radiation; he explored the application of the drug to cancerous tumors, thus limiting radiation damage to the surrounding tissue. In 1984 he was appointed to the Henry K. Pancoast Professorship, which he held until his retirement in 1988. During World War II he was a diagnostic radiologist in the U.S. Army aboard hospital ships in Europe and the Pacific.
Harold E. Manley. See Class of 1943.
Dr. Michael G. Rukstad, Boston, May 17. He was an adjunct professor of geopolitics at Wharton, 1997-98, and taught executive-MBA courses until 2001. He had received the Wharton Executive MBA Outstanding Teaching Award in 2001. From 1982 to 2001 he was president of Rukstad & Associates, a strategy-consulting and executive-education firm. And he served as a consultant for a wide array of companies, nationally and internationally. At the time of his death he was on the faculty of Harvard Business School, where he had held a number of academic positions since 1998.
Rev. John M. Scott, Philadelphia, retired rector of St. Mary’s Church Hamilton Village and Episcopal chaplain to the Penn community; June 7. He had served as rector at St. James Episcopal Church in Long Island, 1954-56, and at All Saints Church in West Virginia, 1956 to 1962. He then came to St. Mary’s, where he remained for 30 years. A Christian activist, he participated in civil rights and anti-Vietnam War demonstrations, and protested against segregation in the Chester public schools. His daughter is Julia Scott Trout Nu’86.
Dr. James P. Shinnick, Mullica Hill, N.J., clinical associate professor of medicine; April 23. After serving on the faculty at Hahnemann University, he came to Penn in 1987 as clinical associate professor of medicine in the pulmonary, allergy, and critical-care division. His areas of expertise included tuberculosis and cystic fibrosis. He was the tuberculosis consultant for the Bucks County Department of Health.
Dr. Philip G. Spaeth. See Class of 1953.
Dr. Leigh Lisker C’41 G’46 Gr’49, Philadelphia, emeritus professor and a former chair of linguistics at the University; March 24. One of the first members of the linguistics department, he began as an assistant instructor of German in 1947 before beginning to teach linguistics in 1949. From 1951 to 1959 he was an assistant professor of linguistics and Dravidian linguistics. He was associate professor of linguistics and Dravidian linguistics, 1960-64, and professor of linguistics from 1965 until his retirement in 1989. He served as chair from 1970 to 1978. He was a visiting professor at Georgetown, Princeton, and Columbia universities, and at the Central Institute of Indian Languages and Osmania University, both in India. He also worked at the Haskins Laboratories in New Haven, Conn., where he was a senior scientist from 1951 until his death. Dr. Lisker also made important contributions to Dravidian linguistics, including the book Introduction to Spoken Telugu.
Philip E. Scott Jr. W’43